[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A5 timelines?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 16:44:21 -0500

On , Przemysław Pintal wrote:
+1

We have PM and scheduler, better Web+, tons of bug fixes.

Indeed.

I have some remarks:

1. This should be beta not alpha. After 13 years, another alpha
version looks very bad. Believe me! At the scale of the project and
available funds, Haiku will never be feature complete.

We already discussed this previously. The overall concensus was one last
alpha due to the recent PM merge. We likely still have PM issues and
alpha is a good way to test the post-PM-world release process. We don't
want to make a big version jump when there is so much that could still
go wrong.

I do suggest a very short alpha release timeline.  Weeks not months.

2. Since Haiku for years was the alpha version, we should have more
frequent releases: NFSv4 -> release, ASLR -> release, PM -> release.
Buzz in social media!

We want good buzz, not bad buzz.  Things are really never "done".
(look at PM, it wasn't possible to upgrade the haiku package until
recently). We want issues that end users won't see :-)

3. Fixes and features should be backported to the next stable release
(we have PM).

Not until R1 :-)  I think the plan is to update packages but leave OS
updates to the final version. We just don't have the man power or
infrastructure to patch alpha / beta releases.