[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1A4 Postmortem

  • From: chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 01:12:15 -0600

> Good evening!
> I wanted to take a few minutes to discuss some of the problems I had
coordinating R1A4 which lead to the need for R1A4.1
> In retrospect, I can mostly sum up my poor R1A4 planning due to the
following:
>   * The Release Coordinator (ahem... me :) having no major software
> release experience
>     - I've never been involved in the Haiku release process.. so it was
> all new ground for me.
>     - I picked up the position mostly due to us slipping so much on the
> R1A4 timeline and the
>       lack of anyone having the time to get R1A4 out the door.
>   * Poor timelines defined.
>     - I completely underestimated the amount of time needed for
> extensive testing.
>       The small testing time combined with the extremely small group of
> people doing testing (3)
>       lead to the bugs that slipped in. I only have so much hardware at
> hand. I tested the
>       final image on 6 machines and only saw one of the bugs, on one
> machine, once. (it then
>       disappeared after rebooting)
>   * Too much cherry picking! (mostly my fault)
>     - Things were very behind on the R1A4 branch when I picked up the
> release, and I spent 95%
>       of the weeks before the release cherry-picking like a mad man to
> try and get things
>       caught up. (which makes it hard to thoroughly review changes) In
> retrospect I wish we
>       erased the R1A4 branch and started fresh after it got so behind.
> (giving us more time for
>       proper testing)
> With the items above in mind, my recommendations for the future are:
>   - The fork of a release branch should be no more then one week from
> the final feature freeze.
>     * If something happens and we can't do the feature freeze within one
> week... we erase the
>       branch and try again.
>   - 3 weeks of bug testing / fixing at minimum. Given our limited number
> of testers I feel
>     an extended testing cycle is a requirement.
>   - A final 'release candidate' image needs to be advertised on the site
> for one week.
>   - Once public feedback from the release candidate is received (and any
> final emergency
>     changes made), one week will be provided to the buildmeister for the
> final version to
>     be built and released.
>   - Total plan: 6 weeks.
> I'd like to see a fixed release cycle. (every 6 months / 1 year an
alpha/beta is released, etc)
> Once these topics are discussed, I'd like to put them into a 'hard' pdf
release guide for future release coordinators... one problem I had was
the lack of guidance on what out best practices were.  (there were notes
on all of this... but they seemed flexible) We do have a wiki page for
notes to release coordinators and planning... but given the wiki format
it bleeds over into a mess fairly quickly.  A pdf seems more 'official'
:)
>   -- Alex

Hi Alex. All of the above sounds reasonable and sensible enough to me.

And now might be a good time to post this link.
http://www.unixmen.com/haiku-os-a-new-kind-of-operating-system/

I am a Technical Writer and this is an article I wrote for Unixmen.com on
the latest Haiku build. Please read my article and let me know your
thoughts.

Regards

Chris Jones