[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Mesa3D status (mmlr gcc2 magic)

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 19:53:38 +0100

Yeah, I agree.

I guess once I saw it work, it seemed like a great idea as it was so easy. :)

You are right though, it's especially bad because it's a kit that is used by
other things.

Here is the tricky situation we are in:

- Mesa compiles fine under Haiku gcc4 without any issues and is rock solid. - mesa_software_renderer had to be updated to work with the new Mesa version as
    we are using non-public API's
- In recent Mesa releases, a core complicated part of mesa (GL shaders) has
    been rewritten in not non-c99 friendly C++ which.
* compare http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/libs/mesa/mesa/shader
    * to http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/glsl

Maybe one solution would be to have some kind of proxy using BMessages or something like that, to send the OpenGL commands to a gcc4 mesa from a gcc2 app ? Or is there too much memory sharing involved ?
There will be a performance hit, but only for gcc2 apps...
--
Adrien.