[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Mesa3D status (mmlr gcc2 magic)

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:07:53 +0100

Hi there,

On 2012-01-07 at 02:06:35 [+0100], Alexander von Gluck
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So!   We now have a working external Mesa3D running under gcc2 without any
> Mesa patches thanks to the hard work of mmlr.
>
> http://haiku.mlotz.ch/gcc4_mesa_in_gcc2_haiku.png
>

> mmlr figured out a way to put the gcc4 compiled mesa into the gcc2 haiku
> build process and come out with a libGL.so consisting of:
>
>   <Haiku gcc2 opengl kit> + <Mesa gcc4 binaries> + <haiku gcc4 libstd +
> libstdc++>
>

> This process works for gcc2 builds. You can try it here:
> http://pub.haikufire.com/mesa/haiku-mesa-gcc2.image.gz
>
> Here is the general process:
>   - We build a gcc4 mesa optional package
>   - We extract c++ symbols that the haiku build gcc2 linking was complaining
> about from the gcc4 libstd + libstdc++ and create a mini gcc4 standard
> static library.

I hate to spoil the party, but I'm not so sure that getting this setup past
the linking stage means that it will actually work reliably. The problem here
is that not only there is a difference in symbol mangling between gcc2 and
gcc4, but there's also a completely rewritten libstdc++ being used by gcc4.
Maybe it does work (to some extent), but I suppose that'd be by coincidence
rather than by purpose.

cheers,
        Oliver