[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. powers (was [VOTE] Haiku flier funding)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:15:16 -0500

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not asking for a guarantee; it's not that I don't trust Axel, Matt,
> Urias, BGA and Ryan after all. I just feel very strongly that there is no
> reason to single out funding as something that has to be discussed or voted
> upon behind closed doors by a subset of individuals. All voting contributors
> -- not just those handpicked to be in the closed Haiku Inc. mailing list --
> should have the same chance to influence all aspects of the project -- not
> just development -- and all discussions and votes should be held in the
> open. That's how the project will achieve true openness, transparency and
> accountability.

The Haiku, Inc mailing list will soon only include the members of the
board. So your concerns about a "boys' club" can soon be put to rest.

In addition I think you grossly overestimate the interests of other
contributors in these discussions. I know you want to have involvement
because many areas of your interest must by nature be closely related
to Haiku, Inc. But many other contributors (such as most of the
developers) probably don't care too much about the minutiae of funding
or marketing or other non-development concerns. I think Niels notes
about how few people vote on these issues is pretty clear in this.
Even when it comes to development not everyone has a say about what
gets done. If we had to have a vote for every little change in the
code nothing would ever get done. Maybe now the decisions related to
funding or marketing or whatever are fairly rare, but that may not
always be the case.

The main point I am trying to make is that I do not think there is a
need for a big, open, transparent system for making those sort of
decisions. Legally decisions related to the non-profit are to be made
by the BOD. The monies collected and paid out to and from the
non-profit are also under the control of the BOD. Does this mean we
will just do what we want and never take outside input? No, of course
not. But I think for these decisions there can be much more focus than
having to involve all contributors. I think we are now trying to work
out how to do this, so that stakeholders such as yourself who have
more interest in the affairs of the non-profit can also have more
input. But obviously this will take time.

Finally if there has been miscommunication in the past from myself on
this matter (which I don't doubt), let's just attribute it to learning
and growing pains. I think the same probably applies to others
involved with Haiku, Inc.

Also to focus back on the topic of flyers, I think it only prudent
that we (at least the Haiku, Inc BOD) see the design before it is
printed and paid for by money under our control. On the other hand I
don't think it needs to be approved by the "community", which is
something I'm sure you would agree with.

Finally we really need a new mailing list for these sort of
discussions because haiku-development certainly isn't the forum for
them, and probably not the main list either. We are currently
discussing options for solving this problem.

--
Regards,
Ryan