[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. and Haiku (was: AboutSystem window credits)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:31:41 -0400

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Jonas Sundstrom <jonas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think I´ve mostly thought of Haiku, Inc as just
> being there, doing what it was supposed to do,
> without fanfare.
>
> From the inside point-of-view, how is Haiku, Inc. broken?

It is broken because the people who are really responsible for it, the
Haiku, Inc. Board of Directors, consists of people with no time,
interest, or motivation to work in that role anymore. Because we have
not completed the "transition" yet, the BOD is still the original one:
Michael Phipps, Tyler Dauwalder and Mike Wilber. Michael already
publicly announced his leaving the project, Tyler writes an email now
and then, and Mike is totally silent and off the radar. From an
official perspective the "transition team" has no more authority in
Haiku, Inc. than someone off the street (though since we control some
of the Haiku, Inc. assets it isn't quite that bad.)

In addition the current public address of Haiku, Inc. is now Michael
Phipps' old address with no forwarding, so we probably have mail for
Haiku, Inc. going into a black hole.

We also need to open a new bank account for Haiku, Inc.

Then there are some things we need to do with the IRS for Haiku, Inc.
to be in the best position as a non-profit entity.

Plus we would like to make Haiku, Inc. into a more democratic,
member-based entity, and that requires some work too.

I won't go into full detail into why all the above has not be done
yet, but suffice it to say it isn't trivial. Again if anyone wants to
help, please make yourself known. People with skills in corporation
management, accounting, taxes and law would be particularly helpful.

Ryan