[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Inc. and Haiku (was: AboutSystem window credits)

  • From: Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:05:49 +0200

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:43:52 +0200, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But, perhaps it is not meant to be - are there any others (besides
myself) who really strongly believe that Haiku, Inc. should continue
existing at this point? Since I have personally taken on the challenge
of recently trying to repair things further, I need to know if my, and
others' efforts are going to be wasted at this point.

I still feel Haiku, Inc. should continue to exist. That is why I have
done what I have so far to help with the transition, even though it is
really tempting at times to just throw up your hands and give up.
Sure Haiku Inc can have a futures, but its a tons of work and need time.

Doing this Haiku, Inc. stuff is not at all fun. I am one of the few
Haiku developers in the U.S. and I would much rather spend my limited
"Haiku time" doing development and fixing bugs. Being a part of the
Haiku, Inc. "transition team" isn't all that special and given recent
mail threads about number of commits being measured I am really
starting to think I have been wasting my time. It is not a good
feeling to have.
KDE e.V Orgenice the product and give the infrastruktur and the developers can code and have a voice too. KDE e.V is the law behind the product KDE. It is Open to join for all , for non developers and developers, but the most are developers and creators. In the KDE project give a core team he is in contact with the e.V (Argon a President from KDE e.V )but he is not KDE :-)
KDE e.V is all members.

If necessary, I can direct my efforts into properly transferring the
assets of Haiku, Inc. to another not-for-profit organization (this is
how it must be done legally) and helping to shut it down instead, if
that's what everyone wishes. I can then shift my support and
participation in the Haiku Project to wherever it makes sense. I don't
mind doing the "boring stuff" like legal matters, financial,
administration, business relations, and marketing. I'm not necessarily
an expert in any of these areas, but I'm capable, and not afraid to
jump in when my time permits.

I personally think it would be much more time and effort to transfer
the Haiku, Inc. assets somewhere else, which is why I have always
supported the idea of "restoring" Haiku, Inc. into something workable.
how long doing the restore. I thinks some good idears have we all, but idea must to implement
and this need time. Can you do it alone ?

In other words, I'm not leaving, but I'm also not going to waste my
time on something that has no relevant purpose. Please let me know
what I should do, since I don't want to make this decision selfishly
or unguided. I support the project and the community in general. :)

So, does Haiku, Inc. have a real future?

I think Haiku, Inc. can have a real future and be as democratic and
member-based as BeFan. But unfortunately there is some work to do in
between. It would be nice if there were more than just Urias and
myself involved in this.
100 points for you and this is what i mean, i think in the next month we
are ready. Inc or e.V can live only with members (aktive and backgrounders)

Finally, as Jorge has repeatedly said, Haiku, Inc. is just supposed to
be a helpful tool to be used in support of the Haiku Project. It is
not Google, it is not Apple, it is not Microsoft or even the Gnome
Foundation. It is just a tiny, tiny non-profit corporation that allows
for some things that an open source project could not do itself. This
whole "us vs them" situation, where Haiku, Inc. is seen as some shady
board room of old men trying to steer the Haiku Project for their own
benefit is just silly. Obviously I am exaggerating a bit, but I can't
help but feel that is how things are seen at times. I can tell you
exactly what Haiku, Inc. is right now: a failing U.S. non-profit that
barely exists, and I am one of the few people doing the mind-numbing,
boring work required to nurse it back to health.

googel and co (gnome) have begining too, so i think we are a littel bit googel and apple ;.)
We make a good products "HAIKU-OS" clear , fast, modular, oop .
After the next 2 years we need sponsoring and this is a big point," where company need this OS and will investigate."
eg: freeBSD have invetors and so can make a OS.

I think we need more learn about OpenSource business.
Sure googel can help or IBM or ACCESS and other.
But for this need we a organisation he is working (tranzparents, secure, member ship, law holder, marketing)

And the Befan are members since 9 years (5years) we going not a good and to bad times without leaving.
"i have a dream" "ich bin ein berliner"

:-)

I think Haiku OS have verry good Developers , my respekt to all. I hope more developers came to haiku and help, And i am lucky for new Inovations in the futures, i am sure we can this do, the same base as we apple or googel. I listen the new browser from googel are very HAIKU like from the conzept :-)

--
Ralf Schülke aka stargater