[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Bootstrap Architecture

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:19:35 +1000

On 5 May 2010 10:52, Maxim Sokhatsky <maxim.sokhatsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings.
> I've prepared corrected version however still want to error checking.
> http://synrc.com/haiku/haiku-bootstrap.htm

If you don't mind here are some grammar and spelling corrections

Abstract:
This article will describe the current state of the Haiku bootstrap
architecture.  It will detail information about the earliest boot
stages along with some hints to platform porters. This can be
interpreted as an extension to the Haiku Article

Hardware Loader:
Here we describe various boot scenarios that are independent from the
OS and depend only on the hardware architecture.  Current status on
each platform and its implementation will also be discussed.

x86 legacy systems have many options to load the first stage loader.
It can be booted by other loaders such as LILO, GRUB and U-Boot or
directly via MBR tiny bootstrap code.  x86 stage 1 boot code can be
found in the stage1.bin file and is placed at the start of a BFS
partition.  Another option for newer x86 systems is to boot the first
stage Haiku loader from EFI firmware that is similar to the
OpenFirmware hardware abstraction standard.

I stopped here, please put this up on a wiki page and let others
correct it directly.  The information is there and I like the layout
but it will need someone to correct the grammar and spelling mistakes.

--
Cheers
David