[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Alpha Proposals & Decisions

  • From: Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:06:10 +0200

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:17:12 +0200, Nick V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to jump in here and give my input.

Nothing extra should be included in Haiku image. I will explain. If you start adding Firefox, GCC, Perl, box, etc., then the image size will grow ( maybe another 23+ MB ) and not everyone wants to use the same set of software. Wastes bandwidth if done this way.

The better way is to use a package manager to let users download ( & install ) the extra software packages they want. This way users choose what they want to install on top of Haiku. The easy solution is to create a shell script to run that will ask the user if they want Firefox, Perl, Autoconf, etc. - download & install it for them. Another solution is to create a *basic* software installer in YAB ( which would have a GUI ). Something like what Vasper started: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vasper/362906231/in/photostream/

Alpha should have a very, very simple package manager with around 15-20 packages that users/developers can choose to install - whether it be a shell script or ( YAB? ) GUI does not matter. For Beta, a more advanced package manager could be created. ( I have ideas for advanced package manager ).

box could be another alternative to consider as a package manager. Something to at least look at. But nicer if Haiku had the source and better if anyone can make packages to use with it.

In regards to: http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha1Proposals

Prop 4: Already have hybrid system. Would require including gcc4 libs, but what gcc4 apps would we include? Or maybe for developing gcc4 apps on?

Prop 5: Update Haiku install might be difficult to do. What if programs are using add-ons or libs & you want to update them? Could be tricky. This feature would be nice to have but may have to wait for Beta?

Prop 7: An Alpha date. Would be great to have but tough to stick to. Can always do a projected date but then people will be unhappy when Haiku is not out by then. Hard to predict when Haiku Alpha will be ready. I would say time is 3 to 6 months away from release? ( I always prefer a projected date - even if it gets revised later on ).

Prop 15: WonderBrush +1. Always a really good thing to have native software to show off on Haiku - but this decision is Stephan's to make. I would be surprised to see anyone say NO to free software :-)

Prop 16: Webkit. Good to have but no pressure on Ryan since Firefox is real good choice too.

Prop 30 & 31: LiveCD & Live USB stick. I think this would be better left for late Alpha or early Beta because 1) the target is developers & not end users and 2) people may get impression that Haiku is nearing R1.

Most important is for Haiku to checkout out Haiku source and build itself. Means that it should be stable enough to run svn, gcc, jam, bison, flex and not experience any major memory leaks. + perl, automake, autoconf for those wanting to compile other programs.

Nice feedback but i think the idear of Haiku-OS AlphaR1 is a Image/CD/USB stick to public all Intresting
users for Testig, founding bugs etc.. and for developers to code on it.
The Alpha is the first public version and it need a optimal stability what we can make (also not stabel as stable for a final version :-) ) The Alpha have a warrnings to used! So devtools and a browser is a mast have. A Updater are a nice idear but not for a alpha and when a updater then mast in c/c++ not in yab, or for a simpel pkg updater is it ok. I like apt from debian. Arch linux have pacman but i have no idear waht is better for haiku-os, i think we need a "new improvment developing from screach " for the haiku os system updater/installer, when it is needed.