[haiku-development] Re: HAIKU in Q on MAC OS X

  • From: "Dustin Howett" <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:11:49 -0400

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> It shouldn't be hard to add support for such images to the various
>> Open Source VMs; one of us could do it and submit patches to each of
>> the VM projects.
>
> I would think VMs would the the last place we really care about for real
> Haiku usage. It's only convenient at the moment for testing/development, but
> I don't know a lot of people chomping at the bit to run Haiku in a VM rather
> than real physical hardware. First and foremost, we need a format that can
> be booted on almost all cd-bootable hardware out there (ISO-9660+El-Torito
> comes to mind), and secondly, it should be easy to burn using nearly any cd
> burning software a user might be using (again, ISO+El-Torito comes to mind).
> In the end, it seems there's really only one real logical choice...

Pulling the iso9660 filesystem into the bootloader and letting it find
an IMAGE.BE (or whatever its name is decided upon being) on the CD?
Seems it should be the same concept as loading from FAT; except maybe
a cd-specific bootloader that first looks on the CD for the image file
before anywhere else.

-- Dustin