[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: "Oliver Ruiz Dorantes" <oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:02:11 +0100

2008/3/18, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> May I suggest that this time we make it clear that students who do not
> bring their projects to full completion within the deadline of GSoC will
> not be considered successful and therefore not rewarded (at least not in
> full), and that Haiku actually follow through with this?
>
> Otherwise, we set a bad precedent for students and may even make the org
> more vulnerable to not being elected in following years.

+1
Moreover a lack of respect for the ones who worked hard completing theirs.

About students who were accepted last year, repeating students etc etc.
there was a discussion at the Google Mentors maillist.
Although there might be no official statement from Google, the given message
is:

      ** Do not accept students just popping in in Summer. **

1.- If they were not accepted, they had a whole year to try get involved,
and demostrate they are/were a good candidate.

2.- If they were accepted, they are suposed to keep in somehow after SoC(a
bit documentation if not feeling to code maybe?), as this is SoC target,
increase the development power base... help opensource.

Regards
--
Oliver,

http://urnenfeld.blogspot.com