[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:41:54 +0100

On 2008-02-22 at 10:06:21 [+0100], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> 2008/2/22, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Google Summer of Code 2008 has not been announced yet. It *might*
> > > soon be
> > > announced. We don't know if we will get accepted as a mentor
> > > organisation
> > > again, but maybe it is time to start planning a project anyways?
> >
> > Sounds like a plan :-)
>
> Stephan, are you volunteering for coordinating this effort?

Actually I would rather have someone else be our org GSoC admin. If nobody
steps up, and we do want to participate, I can try again, but I don't want
to if there is someone else. The work that only the admin can do is fill
out our forms on the GSoC pages, it's not very time consuming. Last year, I
have not been arround when the project planning was going on, so I have no
experience how much work that is for the admin. In any case, I would rather
code and be a mentor again.

> > > One more thing other organizations have been doing successfully is
> > > running
> > > some form of test. This means that people who apply to become
> > > students will
> > > be faced with a programming test. This way, Haiku developers get to
> > > know
> > > these potential students, and in the successful cases, something
> > > useful
> > > will be contributed to the project already. I think we should do this
> > > as
> > > well.
> >
> > Sounds good, we would just need to find some tests then. Anything
> > particular you are thinking of?
>
> How about the easy tasks?
>
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/EasyTasks

Yes, absolutely.