[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:57:39 -0300

Fredrik Modéen wrote:
- A HD 3D driver for a graphic card Nvidia, ATI, Intel or VIA, perhaps
begin with ATI R100 - R200 I think we have one in our community how has
the docs (through NDA but perhaps AMD are willing to drip the NDA?)

I have been thinking about this and the fact is that without specs it is virtually impossible to create a 3D accelerated driver (yeah, Rudolph did it but he is Rudolph. :) Also, his driver still only support old nvidia boards). One way to work around this would be to create a wrapper for the DRI/GLX interface used in Linux and actually loading the Linux binary only drivers for ATI and nVidia cards present in Linux. If the drivers only use C, which is very likely, this should even work with GCC 2.95 builds. I am not sure how many dependencies those drivers have but it should be possible, with enough work, to do with them what was done with the BSD network drivers (and there is the advantage of not having to worry about compiling the driver itself as it is provided as a binary object only anyway).

I think that would be a great project.

-Bruno