[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:56:54 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Oliver Ruiz Dorantes
<oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So... I wanted to propose a Bluetooth Preferences App (outside the bounty I
> have assigned) as Idea. My main reason is not to deal with UI stuff and be
> able to be focused in more hardcore parts of the stack. At the same time the
> work of this student will be implicitly a good test case for the stack, and
> pushing the paralel development.
>
> How do you guys feel/ like this ?

I think this is a good idea. Plus there are probably some interesting
UI paradigms that could be tried and experimented with for this.
Bluetooth devices are pretty unique, and be able to handle all their
various services could be an interesting challenge.

But I think it is important to clarify what exactly you expect this
application to do. Maybe some of the things I described above
(exposing services of devices) is not something you were thinking
of...

I would like to say that the BeOS/Haiku paradigm offers some
interesting possibilities for using Bluetooth devices. For example
what if a Bluetooth headset could be exposed as nodes in the media
kit? So for example you could use Cortex to run the headset microphone
input through some filters to distort it (altering your voice), to
record something (dictation), or to voice control your computer (the
headset might be more "precise" than a boom microphone on your desk.)

Also I think it would be nice if Bluetooth "drives" (like cell phones)
could just show up as a volume in the file system. Maybe you were
already planning this, but just in case I wanted to mention it :)

Regards,
Ryan