[haiku-development] Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:48:14 +0100

Hi all,

Google Summer of Code 2008 has not been announced yet. It *might* soon be
announced. We don't know if we will get accepted as a mentor organisation
again, but maybe it is time to start planning a project anyways?

Some of you might know I was at the GSoC mentor summit (together with Ryan
Leavengood and Oliver Durantes) last year. According to the experience
expressed there, and mostly in line with our own experience - the most
successful projects are the projects proposed by students themselves. So
while a list of ideas is certainly useful, if you want to become a student
with the Haiku project, maybe you have an idea for a project already.

One more thing other organizations have been doing successfully is running
some form of test. This means that people who apply to become students will
be faced with a programming test. This way, Haiku developers get to know
these potential students, and in the successful cases, something useful
will be contributed to the project already. I think we should do this as
well.

And one last bit of advice to potential students: Please be aware of the
time you will have to dedicate when participating in GSoC. You might have
to juggle with exams at the same time or other real life issues. Please
consider this carefully. You should be prepared and willing to dedicate
three months of solid work to your project.

Like I said, nothing has been announced yet, we don't know if we will get
accepted at all, but consider this message a nudge to start our thoughts
going again in the direction of Google Summer of Code. It never hurts to
start planning early. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan