[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 02:22:23 +0200

On Sat, 07 May 2011 00:42:37 +0200, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

I have real trouble following your argumentation. This whole part of the discussion is about the fact that the svn-style revision number built into an image identifies the central Haiku revision that the code from which the image is built derives from. I assumed that's what you were referring to by "this information", and in this case your statement three mails ago is wrong, which I pointed out.

Rereading your paragraph, you might instead refer to "people can also spread altered builds". In this case: You're wrong. Of course the build system could also extract from svn whether there are local modifications and add a character or string indicating that to the version number. (BTW, information I'd find of very little use.)

Rereading your mail, "this information" might alternatively refer to the previous paragraph's "a lot of information can be stored during the build". Mmh...

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I did write that mail in a hurry though, possibly hurting consistency.

As for the rest of the discussion, I was under the impression that you were opposed to any descriptors that were unlike SVN revision numbers that led me to repeat some arguments in trying to convince you. But I guess my impression was wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
- Brecht