[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 11:10:20 +0200

On Thu, 05 May 2011 02:06:35 +0200, Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 05 May 2011 01:58:12 +0200, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand something, but when I clone the haiku-central master master-39148-g206031c and make three local commits I get something like master-39151-g0329483, right? So that doesn't really tell us which haiku-central version my version is based on -- it could just as well be 5 local commits after master-39146-... or 10000 local commits after master-29151-....

I'm afraid this is unavoidable with DVCSes. The describe ID of the remote branch can also be reported, but that's only useful if the remote branch is haiku-central, and not a fork.

Perhaps include a limited reflog in each build?

Oops, not reflog, but plain log of course. A bunch of information could be stored during building actually, such as the output of 'git remote -v' (or Hg equivalent), which shows which is the source of the user's source tree (haiku-central or other). In addition, 'git describe origin/master' uniquely identifies the remote's HEAD.

In any case, it's definitely better than with SVN and 99% of the bug-reports will come from releases or official nightly builds anyway (or unaltered clones of haiku-central). The other 1% can be identified by the means described above.


Other related posts: