[haiku-development] Re: Geo identification via IP for ReadOnlyBootPrompt

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 10:14:38 +1200

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:57:30 +1200, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there,

since it would be nice to let ReadOnlyBootPrompt guess your initial
language setting, I looked a bit around for solutions.

I found a free service called geoplugin.com that is based on the free
geo IP database provided by http://maxmind.com/ - the data is pretty
inaccurate on city level, but it should be good enough for guessing the
country correct.
I guess it would be kind a simple to set up something similar on Haiku's
servers, I mostly wanted to ask about your opinions in general. It's
not something to pursue for the next alpha, but maybe the release after
that.

like the idea but why we have to setup our own server?

        Clemens