[haiku-development] Re: Geo identification via IP for ReadOnlyBootPrompt

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 22:48:46 -0400

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I found a free service called geoplugin.com that is based on the free
> geo IP database provided by http://maxmind.com/ - the data is pretty
> inaccurate on city level, but it should be good enough for guessing the
> country correct.

I wrote something similar in JavaScript for use on the web-site
download page to suggest the closest download mirror. Though it
doesn't seem to be on the get-haiku page anymore. Here is a relevent
email thread:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/More-Geolocation-testing-this-time-with-something-prettier

From my testing years ago it was certainly good enough to suggest a
country based on the user's IP. Using something similar for the
language default would indeed be nice.

--
Regards,
Ryan