[haiku-development] Geo identification via IP for ReadOnlyBootPrompt

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Development" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 23:57:30 +0200

Hi there,

since it would be nice to let ReadOnlyBootPrompt guess your initial
language setting, I looked a bit around for solutions.

I found a free service called geoplugin.com that is based on the free
geo IP database provided by http://maxmind.com/ - the data is pretty
inaccurate on city level, but it should be good enough for guessing the
country correct.
I guess it would be kind a simple to set up something similar on Haiku's
servers, I mostly wanted to ask about your opinions in general. It's
not something to pursue for the next alpha, but maybe the release after
that.

Using our new Services API, it should be rather simple to retrieve some
data over HTTP that some server side script sends us (not that I have
used that API yet).

Bye,
   Axel.