[haiku-development] Re: Generic Font and FontBoy icons etc.

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 04:29:03 -0400

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> In Ubuntu btw, font files also get the document paper sheet base icon, and
> then an "Aa" in the actual font. If you look at a folder with lots of fonts,
> that can actually be helpful. Or at least lets say it's as helpful as an
> icon can be in terms of previewing the font. But that feature may be out of
> scope, since it requires work on many levels.

I think if used, something like this would also only show up when the
icons are displayed above a certain size, otherwise the feature is
less useful and would only make the icons look worse. Below a certain
size (32px?) you would just show a common default icon. This could be
even trickier when using the pseudo-isometric view since that leaves
even less room for the preview, and makes the display of it more
complex since it would be at an angle... which would make things like
italic less apparent etc.

Either the fonts folder itself would need to be some kind of exception
for displaying fonts (or the font icons themselves broke convention),
or the rendering of previews would need to be left to a separate
application.

Aside from that I agree that keeping the sheets of paper paradigm as
part of the icon is necessary to differentiate it from programs. I
originally tried doing just the F itself for the font files, with the
extension flag... and it didn't convey the file concept. Once I shrunk
it and put it on the papers it gave it that file feel that was
desired.

I also agree with the idea of a generalized font icon, but with the
extension flags, since many users who would actually be mucking around
with fonts themselves on a regular basis probably would like to know
which are which at a glance. We could probably have the flags mimic
the colors used in the image John linked to earlier. A green flag for
OpenType, blue for TrueType, red for Type1, etc.

So I'm thinking the 2 sheets of paper, a blue upper and lower case Aa
on top, and a color coded flag showing the type, like the archive
types.

--
"You don't use science to show you're right, you use science to become
right." --xkcd