[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - An outsider's thoughts

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:48:38 +0100

Le 15/04/2011 22:41, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :
I do have one slightly radical suggestion though, that might make
a FS more generally useful.  Make each message its own*folder*!
The main text and any attachments would then become files in that
folder, with appropriate mime-type.  Perhaps the header itself
could actually be an attribute of the folder.  The 'files' in the
folder would of course be empty until a read was requested of that
particular one.  Base64 decoding or whatever would also be done
at that point, so if the attachment is a jpeg, you would get a
displayable image.

What d'you think?
That makes it pretty annoying to do the usual task, that is, just reading my mails. It makes queries unuseable (as you can't see the whole message there, only part of it).

Not something I'd use... It's starting to move in the "let's make an FS anyway, because it's cool" direction, despite the huge stack of problems it seems to cause...

--
Adrien.