[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:35:05 +0200

On 2011-04-15 at 10:23:10 [+0200], Stephan Aßmus<superstippi@xxxxxx>  wrote:
Am 15.04.2011 09:59, schrieb Clemens:
is there a way to cancel a read()? how would you handle it? (just curious)

The read thread doesn't have to block for the whole message. As Ingo
found out, IMAP supports fetching in chunks.

Moreover the file system can support that closing a FD unblocks pending
read()s. Exactly for that purpose the FS interface has two hooks for the
close phase (close() and free_cookie()).

Ah yes, I think I've even used this before. At least it is frequently used with semaphores in a similar use case. Delete the semaphore and make blocking threads bail out.

Best regards,
-Stephan