[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 18:06:10 +0200

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 16:34, Anshul Singhle wrote:

> @ Jonas There is still one question, about the cache storing mails as they
> are on the server and the Volume displaying something different to the user?
> Is it really necessary to do this? If you store mails the way you view them
> i.e. The deleted mails are actually moved to a Trash folder, will that cause
> any problems? The only one I can foresee is when you are synchronizing with
> the server, In that case we can arrange it so that all mails with /Deleted
> set will get stored in the Trash folder only. IMO This sounds a little
> easier to do rather than presenting a virtual FileSystem to the user.

I'm not sure this is the hardest part, or that it is critical if it is
done one way or the other.

I think the hard part is the EXPUNGE because Tracker empties the trash
by deleting files one by one, and can also delete selectively, while
expunge affects the entire folder.

If Tracker Trash is to be used, I want to mention the option of doing
a 180 and say that Trash is an ordinary folder both locally and on the
server. When Tracker moves files to Trash, treat it as any other move
between folders. On posix unlink, mark as deleted on the server and do
an expunge (with a delay so it doesn't happen too frequently). Don't
show files marked as deleted at all, and so do not offer a way to
undelete them. When pressing delete in Tracker or Mail, they will just
be moved to Trash, not marked as deleted. The expunge will take out
messages marked by other clients. This might be annoying depending on
which other clients you use, but that's life ;)

Tonight is Saturday, I'm off to a party, see you on monday.

-Truls