[haiku-development] Re: GSoC proposal

  • From: Alex W <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 02:44:06 -0600

I will keep the  documentation out of my proposal, thanks for the tip. FBC,
as mentioned, shouldn't be too tricky, I think it will mostly be consulting
with people to decide how much padding to include.
    As for archiving of BLayouts, I have been thinking about this for a
while and I think I have a good plan, which I can include in my formal
proposal, detail here, or whatever is preferred! Briefly, it involves having
an object to oversee the [de]archival process. When a BView or BLayout
wishes to retrieve a BLayout, they will ask this object for the BLayout
(with a token received during the archiving process), if the BLayout has
already been built,a pointer is returned, otherwise, it is built then. That
should cover the tricky parts of the archiving, but there is of course more
to it.
    Deriving BLayout from BLayoutItem is a good idea, and I will indeed
include it into my proposal.I am planning on submitting my formalized
proposal tomorrow, and I will be sure to be more specific. Thanks for your
comments and advice, keep 'em coming!

Alex