[haiku-development] [GSoC] filesystem ideas

  • From: Sean Bartell <wingedtachikoma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 23:38:49 -0400

Hello! I'm interested in working on some filesystem-related ideas for GSoC.
I've never worked on an actual filesystem driver, but recently I've been
looking at different filesystems, writing Python scripts to read the on-disk
structures. I've also extended btrfs-convert to allow in-place conversion from
ReiserFS to Btrfs, though this only requires reading the ReiserFS filesystem
sequentially.[1]

I had a few different ideas for possible proposals:

1. Write support for ReiserFS.
2. Read support for JFS, XFS, and Btrfs (or some other combination).
3. A device mapper layer, like on Linux, to support LVM and RAID.
Alternatively, an implementation of LVM as a normal filesystem, where
each logical volume is presented as a file.

What's the priority level of these ideas for Haiku? I have ReiserFS,
JFS, ext4, Btrfs, and LVM on my systems, but I don't know what's
important for the community at large. I'm also not sure what scale would
be best to fit in the three months.

For now, I'm focusing on ReiserFS and trying to make some
journal-applying code (as was mentioned before for ext3).

[1] I haven't posted the patch yet; it works but needs a bit more
cleanup and testing. GSoC, among other things, has distracted me from
working on this :P.