[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC Project] ZFS implementation.

  • From: Sean Bartell <wingedtachikoma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:47:41 -0400

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 03:22:30PM +0200, js.haiku@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Goals :
>
> - Read support for ZFS
> - Write (with copy-on-write and checksumming)
> - Snapshots (on the kernel side)
> - Userland tools to manage snapshots
> - if time permits, additional zfs features (pools, etc.).
I think you'll need to add more detail about the individual steps you
plan to take, how long they'll take, and how you plan to implement them.
Take a look at Janito's[1] and my[2] proposals for ideas.

> I would have liked to implement some filesystem like BtrFS or NilFS on
> Haiku, but BtrFS's physical layout is not completely frozen, so the
> implementation might need some more or less heavy changes after it's
> done, and NilFS is still highly experimental. Plus ZFS support might
> give the industry people some interest in Haiku.
The BtrFS format is basically 99% complete, so implementing it might be
reasonable. I'm thinking of proposing this myself.

[1]
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/jvff/t127073058724
[2]
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/wtachi/t127078284686