[haiku-development] Re: GSoC Project - Continue the CUPS port

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:02:49 +0200

Cian Duffy wrote:

On 6 April 2010 12:34, PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Printing over the network is something i'd actually use a lot. So
    we need some kind of compatibility with network printers. But I
    don't think that needs cups on the client, does it ?

There are already transport add-ons for a number of network printing systems, I've used the IPP add-on that's in the tree under BeOS in the past with a D-Link print server. I've no idea if they work under Haiku but I can't see why not.
I've got a patch which will show IPP (e.g. CUPS) network printers in the LAN in the Printers preference. I've printed successfully to my LaserJet connected to a CUPS Linux box over the network from Haiku ;)
I'd presume all protocols could be implemented as transport add-ons and not require CUPS at all.
Indeed, and I've got a some patches to improve the transport addons and their interface in the Printers preference.

HTH,

Ithamar.
begin:vcard
fn:Ithamar Adema
n:Adema;Ithamar
org:Team Embedded V.O.F.
adr:;;Presidentstraat 7;Almere;Flevoland;1312 AN;The Netherlands
email;internet:ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Partner
tel;work:+31 (0)6 11562202
tel;fax:+31 (0)36 7115448
tel;cell:+31 (0)6 11562202
note;quoted-printable:Skype: ir.adema=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.team-embedded.com
version:2.1
end:vcard