[haiku-development] Re: GSoC - Porting Valgrind

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:36:25 +0200

On 2010-04-09 at 09:20:55 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> William Chappell <wtchappell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   I'm going to submit an application tonight to port valgrind over to
> > Haiku
> > as a Google Summer of Code project.  Reaction to this seemed pretty
> > favorable on IRC - I hope that will be representative of the
> > community at
> > large.  I'm digging through both the valgrind sources and the kernel
> > sources, and my thoughts are that this project would be a reasonable
> > size
> > for a kernel/valgrind newbie to get up to speed on and implement.
> > I'll be
> > on IRC in about an hour, and should be there for the rest of the
> > night
> > working on this (as wtchappell) so please feel free to ask any
> > questions.
> > (Or give me awesome advice! :D)
>
> To give you some advice that someone would already need to be into
> Valgrind a bit more. AFAIK it needs a tight interaction with libroot.so
> (by replacing parts of it, I guess) which you'll find in
> src/system/libroot/ in our repository.

Actually it works differently. libroot.so wouldn't be used at all (in the
client program). The valgrind platform specific code hardcodes a bunch of
syscalls it needs. Since Haiku's syscall API is utterly private and changes
between releases, I was thinking that a single dispatcher syscall could be
added. It would have a fixed syscall number (0 or 1) and a well-defined,
stable interface for a set of standard functionality (open(), close(),
read(), write(), snooze(),...).

CU, Ingo