[haiku-development] Re: GSoC - Porting Valgrind

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:20:55 +0200

William Chappell <wtchappell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I'm going to submit an application tonight to port valgrind over to
> Haiku
> as a Google Summer of Code project.  Reaction to this seemed pretty
> favorable on IRC - I hope that will be representative of the
> community at
> large.  I'm digging through both the valgrind sources and the kernel
> sources, and my thoughts are that this project would be a reasonable
> size
> for a kernel/valgrind newbie to get up to speed on and implement.
> I'll be
> on IRC in about an hour, and should be there for the rest of the
> night
> working on this (as wtchappell) so please feel free to ask any
> questions.
> (Or give me awesome advice! :D)

To give you some advice that someone would already need to be into
Valgrind a bit more. AFAIK it needs a tight interaction with libroot.so
(by replacing parts of it, I guess) which you'll find in
src/system/libroot/ in our repository.
You also need to be aware that Haiku comes with its own threading API
besides pthread, so you'll have to make sure those work well together
within Valgrind -- from a kernel POV there is no difference between
them, though.

Anyway, it's a very welcomed project; Valgrind is a great tool.

Bye,
   Axel.