[haiku-development] Re: GSoC: Implement ZeroConf/Bonjour support

  • From: Stephan Lichtenauer <fbsdlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:33:42 +0200

Hi,

Helo Ma Jie!

On 2009-03-31 at 09:45:36 [+0200], Ma Jie <china.majie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My name is Ma Jie and I'm a senior student from China. I have some
developing experiences on Haiku, which I learned when I was working on
the poorman server.

I would like to take up the ZeroConf idea as my gsoc project. I made a
quick comparison between mDNSResponder (Bonjour) and Avahi. I find
mDNSResponder may be better than Avahi. So my project will be:

1. porting mDNSResponder to haiku.
2. a mDNSResponder configuration preflet, which can be integrated into
the network preflet in the future.
3. a services browser and notifier, which may be integrated into the
Deskbar.

If the above goals is not enough to work in three months, the addition
will be "4. making PoorMan server utilize the zeroconf network." This
also can be a demonstration to other haiku services on how to use the
zeroconf network.

I'm waiting for your comments. Thanks.

Sounds excellent! In your application, you could elaborate on the "porting mDNSResponder to Haiku" point a little bit more, maybe show in which areas you expect some possible difficulties, perhaps you can break this point
down a little more. Maybe also mention why you think mDNSResponder is
better suited than Avahi. Since you already worked on Poorman, obviously you don't need to pick a ticket for fixing. :-) I am looking forward to
your application!

Maybe it would make sense to also design a C++ BeAPI for ZeroConf around the mDNSResponder if there is enough time left?

Just an idea as I am only right now beginning to learn more about BeOS/ Haiku, so I don't know what the Haiku team thinks about that.

Stephan