[haiku-development] Re: GSoC: Implement ZeroConf/Bonjour support

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:31:58 +0200

Helo Ma Jie!

On 2009-03-31 at 09:45:36 [+0200], Ma Jie <china.majie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My name is Ma Jie and I'm a senior student from China. I have some
> developing experiences on Haiku, which I learned when I was working on
> the poorman server.
>
> I would like to take up the ZeroConf idea as my gsoc project. I made a
> quick comparison between mDNSResponder (Bonjour) and Avahi. I find
> mDNSResponder may be better than Avahi. So my project will be:
>
> 1. porting mDNSResponder to haiku.
> 2. a mDNSResponder configuration preflet, which can be integrated into
> the network preflet in the future.
> 3. a services browser and notifier, which may be integrated into the
> Deskbar.
>
> If the above goals is not enough to work in three months, the addition
> will be "4. making PoorMan server utilize the zeroconf network." This
> also can be a demonstration to other haiku services on how to use the
> zeroconf network.
>
> I'm waiting for your comments. Thanks.

Sounds excellent! In your application, you could elaborate on the "porting
mDNSResponder to Haiku" point a little bit more, maybe show in which areas
you expect some possible difficulties, perhaps you can break this point
down a little more. Maybe also mention why you think mDNSResponder is
better suited than Avahi. Since you already worked on Poorman, obviously
you don't need to pick a ticket for fixing. :-) I am looking forward to
your application!

Best regards,
-Stephan