[haiku-development] Re: GSoC ICMP implementation

  • From: "Alvarez, Alan SPC MIL USA FORSCOM" <alan.alvarez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:45:22 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, March 28, 2008 12:51
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: GSoC ICMP implementation
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Alvarez, Alan SPC MIL USA FORSCOM" <alan.alvarez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The problem with the approach you originally suggested is that
> > sometimes the error is
> > caught at the Session layer (TCP/UDP) and by then the header has
> > already been removed.
>
> But is it necessary to include the original header in these cases,
> too?If that is the case, I think your idea of having it clone the
> header
> first would work. It's just the question on how the ICMP module
> can
> then access it, and when that header can be thrown away; it seems
> like
> this needs some changes in the current infrastructure.
> Eventually, one might want to attach additional data to a net_buffer.

yes. The IP header has to be sent back the exact way it came.

Well, it could be required for an upper module to call a lowest module to
"clean up". I'm not sure if this is a very clean design though. I'll think in
the next few days and let you know what I can come up with.

> > I'm not sure how I could call the icmp error handler separately
> and
> > before the header is
> > cut off. I'm sure I'm missing something.
>
> You mean in the case above? That wouldn't be possible, I guess :-)

I thought I was going crazy for a while.

> > I'm sorry for dragging this for so long. If you wish we could
> resume
> > this if/when the project
> > gets accepted.
>
> I think it's always better to sort out things like this as early
> as
> possible. I don't have a deep knowledge about ICMP anyway, so I
> can
> only benefit from yours :-))
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.