[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC 2010] Services Kit API draft

  • From: Christophe Huriaux <c.huriaux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:56:27 +0200

2010/4/15 Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> There are quite a lot of useful functions for search and replace that I
> imaginne would be useful for handling an URL (finding the / for
> splitting, finding the ://, escaping/unescaping, ...)

In fact I already had a class which handles all the URL things (such
as exploding the URL into protocol, domain, path, ...) in mind while I
was drafting the API. Such a class would have been used in BUrl*
classes to extract data from a URL. But I agree that BString should be
used at one time or another.

 I started from the network protocols layer and then elaborate Web
Services relateds things on it, based on my personal experience about
managing HTTP from scratch. I think that this way of designing the API
allows a more flexible use of components because we can conceive
network protocols components not explicitly related to Web Services
(if the design is well done, at least).

 My question about reusing Chromium code in Haiku was intented to let
me know what is permitted or not since Chromium is released under an
orignal 3-clause BSD license, that's why I only shows up the public
interface of the API, not the internals.

--
Christophe Huriaux