[haiku-development] Re: [GSOC] xhci or USB3.0 support initial patch

  • From: Jian Chiang <j.jian.chiang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:59:54 +0800

Hi Stephan,

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:02:57 +0200
Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jian,
>
> Am 30.03.2011 17:54, schrieb Jian Chiang:
> [...]
> > Attached xhci.tar.gz contains xhci.cpp, xhci.h, xhci_hardware.h and
> > xhci.rdef, they should be put at src/add-ons/kernel/busses/usb
> >
> > Attached patch is for those guys want to try, it will enable xhci building
> > and loading, I think this patch should be delayed to xhci functions are
> > mostly implemented :)
>
> Thanks for the patch! It seems the advice to look at the existing USB
> module add-ons was most fruitful. :-)

Yep. Absolutely. I borrowed code from EHCI driver.

> > PS: Is this enough for the required code contribution for gsoc apply?
>
> I would say this certainly constitutes a nice demonstration of
> capabilities to get involved in the codebase. I am wondering how quickly
> you could implement XHCI if your project was picked... what do you say
Thanks very much. This initial patch is very simple, it just handles with
pci subsystem and resets the host controller by operating the capability
and operational registers. The real functionality is not implemented yet.
Also haiku's clean and beautiful kernel source helps me a lot when digging
into code.
> about including in your proposal to fix more existing issues with the
> USB implementation (for example isochronous transfers are not completely
> implemented in all add-ons, IIRC), as time permits?
I need to do more homework--I haven't read all of the xhci spec;) and then
estimate time. Sure, I will fix some usb stack bugs during gsoc if time
permits.

Can haiku boot from NFS? It will helps a lot especially when
doing kernel development.

Thanks for all your help,
Jian