[haiku-development] Re: GSOC valgrind port

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:15:50 +0100

On 2009-03-27 at 02:38:13 [+0100], Danny Robson <danny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:29:16 +0100
> Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good. You can also cross-check which required platform
> > functionality is already available on Haiku and which isn't. We have
> > a debugging interface (<debugger.h>) and our runtime loader supports
> > preloading, which might both be of help. Maybe valgrind also requires
> > libc hooks/callback/... which we don't have ATM.

> functionality. An internal (platform specific) implementation of the
> image loader is used to keep control within coregrind itself. Older
> versions used a preload mechanism, which proved unreliable.

Interesting. Then one has to duplicate quite a bit of functionality of the
runtime loader -- at least the interfaces to kernel (image registration,
maybe also image mapping) and to the application (image and symbol lookup).

> As for libraries, it's completely statically linked with an internal
> implementation of a subset of libc. So no external dependencies
> whatsoever.

This means this internal libc needs to be ported. I suppose that won't be
that hard.

CU, Ingo