[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2013 QT in R2

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:33:08 +0200

On 2013-06-20 at 16:15:40 [+0200], Mariusz Wojcik <mdickie007@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Yes, it is crazy idea. Meanwhile I think it is just better to use it and
> seperate ugly things into a package or what else (for peoply which like
> using ugly stuff). Also it should be extended for Haiku specific stuff (as
> example kde created an own API called kdlibs). AFAIK VirtualBox additions
> are proprietary and I think they won't work for now in Haiku (I don't know
> if Oracle adds Haiku support for these additions).
> Greetings,
> Mariusz Wojcik

There is Haiku support in the VBox additions. This was developped as a GSoC
project in 2012, but there are several problems with it :
 - It was not updated since then, and seems a bit uneasy to build,
 - All the VBox code is put into a Deskbar replicant. Since that code only
builds with gcc4, you need a gcc4 or gcc4hybrid Haiku installation to be ale
to use it. A better solution would be to have a gcc4-compiled daemon with the
VBox stuff inside, and a gcc2 replicant just sending it BMessages to tell it
what to do.

Other than that, I think the VBox additions used to work fine, with mouse
pointer sharing, folder sharing, and maybe more.

--
Adrien.