[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2013 QT in R2

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:44:18 +1200

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 06:55:23 +1200, Mariusz Wojcik <mdickie007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey,
I am a newbie in Haiku and browsed through the Haiku Website. There I saw
this Idea of Google Summer of Code. I must say I don't like this Idea
because QT doesn't use the threading effectiveness and flexibility of the
Beos/Haiku API (as far as I am concerned). I think haiku should fork QT,
rename everthing, remove portability and make it use of extensive
threading, Then I would take it as new native API.
My suggestions are probably not the right but I think this should be
discussed before making haiku with the old beos API incomaptible.
Greetings,
Mariusz Wojcik

Qt actually has much more convenient threading. See "Signals and Slots Across Threads":
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/threads-qobject.html

However, when messaging other processes using DBus is not that nice anymore:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qdbusadaptorexample.html
Haiku does not differentiate between a local BHandler and a remote BHandler, what is nice...

Regards,
        Clemens