[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2013 QT in R2

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:09:35 +0200

On 2013-06-19 at 20:55:23 [+0200], Mariusz Wojcik <mdickie007@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hey,
> I am a newbie in Haiku and browsed through the Haiku Website. There I saw
> this Idea of Google Summer of Code. I must say I don't like this Idea
> because QT doesn't use the threading effectiveness and flexibility of the
> Beos/Haiku API (as far as I am concerned). I think haiku should fork QT,
> rename everthing, remove portability and make it use of extensive
> threading, Then I would take it as new native API.
> My suggestions are probably not the right but I think this should be
> discussed before making haiku with the old beos API incomaptible.
> Greetings,
> Mariusz Wojcik

Hello,
This GSoC proposal was only to review the possibility to use Qt as a
replacement API. We are going to drop the old BeOS API at some point, it's
getting too old, but several of the devs (including myself) think it's
better to improve on it than to replace it with something else.

We are likely going to replace some classes like BOutlineListView, and
replace some other bad designed APIs. Other classes may have ABI breakage
only but keep the same API, or things may be moved into C++ namespaces.

Qt also lacks some of the lower level system stuff anyway, so it wouldn't
be enough to replace the whole BeAPI. And, there is no point in renaming
stuff, that would only make it harder to port existing Qt software to
Haiku. I'm fine with keeping Qt as a third party library as it is now.

--
Adrien.