[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2011 VirtualBox guest additions added to official optional packages?

  • From: Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:46:02 -0400

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Alexander von Gluck <
> kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks!  I will stay tuned, hopefully the binary still exists and works
> somewhere.

I was able to find that kmk or kBuild has been separated from vbox, and is
no longer in the same source tree (was never?)

The trunk from svn co
http://svn.netlabs.org/repos/kbuild/trunk/kBuildstill contains
binaries for kmk in haiku.x86 that worked.
(I had not read carefully the part of the instructions that said you had to
have this first and put it in your path... d'oh)

I had more problems in mmadia repo that could not be resolved as easily for
me.  The configure script did not recognize haiku as an OS; adding it
myself, then the configure script was not sure what 'system' I was on.  Not
sure what to tell it.  Maybe there is a simple fix for this and it would
not have the same problems I describe further on.  The two year old scgtrp
repo worked better for me.  I actually got VBoxService and VBoxControl
compiled, though together they are not useful to me without some further
things I think I needed.

Here is how I did it to save anyone following on the same discovery... some
simple things, disable some checks that were failing, to go further into
the build.

Adding kmk for haiku to the path as mentioned before, and correcting as86
in the configure script to look for 'as' instead (which was already in the
path under develop/tools/gnupro/bin/as)... running configure as described
and passing by the hanging AS86 check of configure by pressing ^D... maybe
the different version of 'as' needs to have </dev/null for input.

Doing configure with --nofatal... ignoring warnings about BCC and IASL that
are not on my system... hope those aren't needed!

Doing the the s/ev/9001/ fix in out/haiku.x86/release/revision.kmk as
mentioned in https://github.com/scgtrp/vbox-haiku/blob/master/README.haiku,
then taking no-fpic out of Config.kmk since it's apparently not supported
by gcc (anymore?), didn't know what it was for either.  Fatal mistake #2?

Doing the ev/9001/ fix again, since kmk seems to have overwritten it with
'ev' again.
Starting over after that at kmk VBOX_ONLY_ADDITIONS=1
VBOX_WITH_ADDITION_DRIVERS=1 VBOX_USE_GCC4=1 all

The compilation almost completes (I guess?), gets all the way to linking
VBoxMouse, and fails linking with undefined reference to
RTErrConvertFromErrno and some other RTFile, RTLog references...

I am not sure how to proceed, or if anyone can help me without knowing more
about my build environment.  I will try again when I get a chance and see
if I get different results the second time.

--
Kingdon Barrett <kingdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>