[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2011 VirtualBox guest additions added to official optional packages?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:11:07 -0500

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 17:32 -0400, Kingdon Barrett wrote:
> My expertest googling skills have turned up this thread (Sep 2011) as
> the latest info about a VirtualBox Guest addition for Haiku.  I saw a
> blog post as recent as Sep 2012 that mentioned continued or ongoing
> development, and I haven't found a "death of vboxadditions" post
> anywhere, so I'm guessing this support is ongoing.

> I got the GCC4 nightly installed and a checkout
> from https://github.com/scgtrp/vbox-haiku/ which is the only remaining
> record, since haikufire seems to be down and out, so there are no
> binaries left anywhere.
>
> I got far enough compiling to see that these drivers are not prepared
> for gcc 4.7, which is included in the latest GCC4-only Haiku.  I
> bypassed the check in configure and found as86 is missing, or it's
> been moved to be just called 'as'.  When I changed configure to look
> for 'as' instead of 'as86' it just hangs, so maybe I'm wrong.  ^D --
> now missing bcc, and only this far through the alphabet.

> I did not dare try it on GCC2 or GCC4-hybrid versions, but I did also
> see that once configure failed, the instructions refer to a tool
> called 'kmk' that seems to be absent and also not available as named
> in optional packages.

> Does anyone maintain these additions for their own personal use, or
> have all the Haiku developers changed over to using bare metal now?
>  Any haiku vets willing to produce some updated compilation
> instructions, or at least to give the build a try and report back?

The Haiku VirtualBox additions are actually in the VirtualBox source
tree. Last I checked however they were broken (just not compiling)

https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions

As VirtualBox is fairly closed in their development, making
contributions is a little tough and time consuming as the real repo
is behind closed doors @ Oracle.

As for haikufire, it moved over to pub.haikungfu.net. (that however is
offline as I recently moved to a VPS which doesn't have a ton of space)

I'll see if I can find my archive of pub.haikungfu.net and post a link
here soon.

mmadia has a copy of the final gsoc work here:
https://github.com/mmadia/vbox-haiku