[haiku-development] Re: GLTeapot and R5/Haiku mouse tracking

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:43:14 +0100

On 2008-02-22 at 14:29:59 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > The mouse message thing is definitely a problem though, we will have
> > think of something. I have other cases which reproduce the problem.
> > For
> > example scrolling large documents in Pe (though maybe I am the only
> > one
> > seeing it, since the direct to screen rendering is so slow on my dev
> > machine.)
>
> Actually, I'm not sure if we really should fix that. Or rather if we
> do, we should have a "B_PRECISE_MOUSE" flag of some kind - since
> sometimes you actually want to have that kind of resolution.
> I think in BeOS, the mouse coordinates are always overwritten in a
> shared area, and the app only retrieves it when it gets to it (interim
> messages are automatically thrown away this way). I'm not sure how it
> works in particular, but it would probably be very similar to our "no
> mouse history" handling; of course we could improve it so that it
> wouldn't need to send messages for those anymore.
> Is there actually a difference in BeOS wether or not you're using
> B_NO_POINTER_HISTORY?

The funny thing is that in WonderBrush, when I draw something with my
tablet, the mouse tracking is much more jerky in Haiku than in ZETA or
BeOS. (I am going to post screen shots I guess.) We must be doing something
wrong. At least we are definitely not compatible with BeOS apps from a
behaviour point of view.

Best regards,
-Stephan