[haiku-development] Re: GIT help

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:48:14 -0700

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:26:18PM -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 09:15:14PM -0400, John Scipione wrote:> git
> > format-patch is what you want,
> >
> > Is this what others are using to attach to tickets then?  As I have a 
> > correct diff
> > at this point, and the directory is going to have to be moved in the 
> > repository
> > by someone anyway (moved from "tests" to "apps"), I think that'll do for 
> > now.
> >
> We even have an entire page dedicated to this process:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/SubmittingPatches

OK, guys.  I'm trying to follow your instructions, but all I'm getting is

[I hadn't noticed that page before, but it is singularly unhelpful.
For instance: 
" Now, you need to create the actual patch file that you can, for example, 
attach to a ticket:
   git format-patch <commitsha or branch name>"
                                   ^^^^^  *What* is that supposed to be??]

Here's what I've been doing (or trying to do):

On Ingo's suggestion I moved the patchbay directory myself from
 .../src/tests/kits/midi to .../src/apps, modified all the relevant jamfiles,
and checked that it compiled.

Then, looking at 'git status' to see what was not staged, I did a 'git add'
for all the relevant files.

Here's the resulting status (irrelevant files omitted):
# On branch work
# Changes to be committed:
#   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
#       modified:   src/apps/Jamfile
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/CountEventConsumer.h
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/EndpointInfo.cpp -> 
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/EndpointInfo.h -> 
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/Jamfile -> 
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.cpp -> 
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.h
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchApp.cpp
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchApp.h
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchBay.rdef
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchRow.cpp -> 
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchRow.h -> 
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchView.cpp
#       renamed:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchView.h -> 
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchWin.cpp
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/PatchWin.h
#       new file:   src/apps/patchbay/UnknownDeviceIcons.h
#       modified:   src/tests/kits/midi/Jamfile
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/CountEventConsumer.h
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.h
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchApp.cpp
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchApp.h
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchBay.rsrc
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchView.cpp
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchWin.cpp
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchWin.h
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/TToolTip.cpp
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/TToolTip.h
#       deleted:    src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/UnknownDeviceIcons.h
It worries me a bit that some files are "renamed" and others are "deleted/new 
as they have essentially all been modified, and moved as a group, but never 

So then I did git "commit -m 'PatchBay revisions for Haiku'"
and got:
[work 5c0dede] PatchBay revisions for Haiku
 29 files changed, 1171 insertions(+), 1379 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/CountEventConsumer.h
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/EndpointInfo.cpp (61%)
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/EndpointInfo.h (52%)
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/Jamfile (77%)
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.cpp (58%)
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.h
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchApp.cpp
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchApp.h
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchBay.rdef
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/PatchRow.cpp (54%)
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/PatchRow.h (65%)
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchView.cpp
 rename src/{tests/kits/midi => apps}/patchbay/PatchView.h (58%)
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchWin.cpp
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/PatchWin.h
 create mode 100644 src/apps/patchbay/UnknownDeviceIcons.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/CountEventConsumer.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/MidiEventMeter.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchApp.cpp
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchApp.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchBay.rsrc
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchView.cpp
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchWin.cpp
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/PatchWin.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/TToolTip.cpp
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/TToolTip.h
 delete mode 100644 src/tests/kits/midi/patchbay/UnknownDeviceIcons.h

and then, following what I understand from the various instructions,
I did: "git format-patch work "  (as that's the name of the current branch).
It returned immediately with no error, but I can find *no* resulting patch
file anywhere on my system!!  (Certainly nothing like
"0001-PatchBay-revisions-for-Haiku.patch" which the wiki page suggersts.)

It's gotta be simpler that this...!

        -- Pete --

Other related posts: