[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2.95 and certain #define macros

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:06:12 +0200

On 2007-08-20 at 02:02:45 [+0200], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 8/19/07, Duane Ryan <bailey.d.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm afraid you're screwed here; apple hasn't used 2.95 for, what, four
> > years? The same's true for the kde folks who (??) also contribute to the
> > code. Quite frankly, noone has. You're going to run into these problems
> > left
> > and right with code as modern as webkit
>
> You don't need to convince me of this, believe me! :)
>
> It is for this reason I decided to port WebKit to Haiku and not to BeOS.
>
> It is also why I'm so adamant about creating a custom Haiku
> runtime_loader which can load both GCC 4.x binaries and older GCC 2.95
> binaries for backward compatibility. This will need to be done
> eventually for R2 and beyond (unless we plan to totally drop backwards
> compatibility after R1.) I suggest doing it now, and until I see
> someone yelling "no, stop, it is impossible, you are wasting your
> time" I plan to see what I can do about it.

I don't think it's impossible, and we've actually talked about the
possibility already. We just didn't consider it urgent. It was thought of
more as a post R1 solution, when we would migrate to gcc 4, but still try
to be binary compatible.

Anyway, I would advise you not to do that ATM. This is not just a small
change to the runtime loader. If you want to run a gcc 4 executable, you'll
obviously need gcc 4 versions of the libraries (libbe,...). Those
communicate with servers (app/input server, registrar,...) and might even
share source code with them. Those servers in turn have add-ons. In the end
you'll probably have to invest quite a bit of work to actually get a hybrid
Haiku installation going.

I believe you're better off to just to port everything to gcc 4 Haiku,
first. This will likely give you less porting problems (though gcc 4 Haiku
might not work as well as the version compiled with 2.95.3). When the port
gets usable, you can start considering what to do about the gcc 2.95.3
issue. Maybe Haiku R1 will already exist at the point and the migration
path to gcc 4 would be much clearer.

CU, Ingo