[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:58:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Clue 3 however will be using vararg macros. So clients wont be able to
> compile on
> Haiku until the GCC4 compiler is included.

I have a similar situation with the whole WebKit port needing GCC4.
Though at least in general clients won't need to compile it like they
will with Clue. Still it would be nice to be able to develop my
browser on Haiku itself, instead of Linux with the cross compiler. I
certainly don't want to have to hack the WebKit code as much as you
don't want to hack your own (probably more so.) Plus there are plenty
of other modern code bases that need GCC4 which could be useful in
Haiku.

I don't think any of the developers are against including GCC4, it is
just a matter of doing the work. The work has already been done to
have dual GCC2/GCC4 libraries to run GCC4-compiled apps, but to
actually compile them on Haiku, we need the full GCC4 stack on Haiku
itself. I am not sure what work needs to be done to get that working,
though I am sure Ingo has a good idea.

In fact, let's ask: Ingo, since you are so busy, is there something
those of us with an interest and stake in having GCC4 on Haiku can do
to help get that going?

Ryan