[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4.

  • From: "David McPaul" <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:20:18 +1000

On 2008-08-14, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/8/13 David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > My preference is that we refrain from changing to GCC4 until haiku is
> > self hosting.
>
> /me looks at his gcc2-compiled self-hosted partition

My understanding is that without the VM changes Haiku can only self
host with lots of memory.

> Do you mean with gcc4?

Both preferably but once we can self host reliably with GCC4 then we
can consider switching as long as GCC2 apps will continue to run.

> > Is there an issue with running GCC4 compiled applications on a GCC2
> > compiled haiku?
>
> AFAIK, if they're C only, no.. if they link to the c++ libs compiled
> in gcc2, you could have issues due to the bustage in ABI
> compabitility. That's why the hybrid builds exist - two sets of
> libraries, gcc2 and gcc4, with a runtime loader that chooses the
> proper ones based on the elf header.

Sure but we have the runtime loader changes done and we can include
the 2 sets of libraries so a GCC2 built haiku can be used by people
making GCC4 based applications.

So I don't see GCC4 as a must have.

I see me being able to boot haiku on my modern PC and compile my code
on it to make the compile test cycle as short as possible as being
must have.

Oh and I want patience and I want it NOW!!!

--
Cheers
David

PS and a pony :-)