[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4.

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:47:52 -0500

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to add some questions. Who has actually tried a GCC 2/4
> hybrid and how exactly is it supposed to work?

I do that here, it mostly involves setting up your build sys in a
special way as detailed by Ingo a while ago. The end result is that
two sets of the system libraries get installed, and the runtime loader
is smart enough to tell which a given app needs.

> How much extra space does it require?

Looks to be around 15MB for my gcc2 primary / gcc4 alternate libs setup.

> What should be done to the build system in order to generate one from
> a scratch source tree?

See:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/haiku-commits/2008-May/014088.html

> How many man-hours will this take to prepare all of this?

Not many, it's pretty much automatically part of the build once you set it up.

Regards,

Rene