[haiku-development] Re: GCC 2 x GCC 4.

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:35:24 +0200

2008/8/13 Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Now that we are able to have a dual system for running applications compiled
> with both GCC versions, I wonder if it would not be a good idea to compile
> Haiku with GCC 4 by default and provide the GCC 2 libraries. The reason
> being that this would be a clear signal to people that they should use GCC 4
> from now on and considering we will have to do this at some point, now is
> probably a good time to do it.
>
> We can even provide both tool chains and a way for developers to switch
> between the two if they wanted. WHat do you guys think?

I'd like to add some questions. Who has actually tried a GCC 2/4
hybrid and how exactly is it supposed to work?

How much extra space does it require?

What should be done to the build system in order to generate one from
a scratch source tree?

How many man-hours will this take to prepare all of this?

The reason I'm asking is because it was added to the list of proposals
of alpha 1 requirements, and I'm not sure it is worth the time
investment to get this ready. Nothing depends on GCC 4 so far; I know
Webkit requires GCC 4 but it is not a released project yet. Perhaps
it's better to let this one wait for the next round...

Niels