[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: Re: Question : Haiku + Transmission

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 02:58:02 +0100 CET

> Here is a reply from Charles, who as you recall was the person who
> initially queried me.
>
> (from ticket #1682 on Transmission's Trac)
> Comment(by charles):
>  I mostly agree with livings124 on this.  I don't think it's
> unreasonable
>  for a network-intensive program to require ipv6 hooks in 2009.

Still, this doesn't require all protocols to be mixed up together. They
could be separated in their own files for clarity...

>  One possibility, until Haiku actually gets ipv6 support, would be
> for you
>  to maintain a patch that you could apply when building for Haiku.
> If
>  there are other, non-ipv6 related issues that could be fixed in the
> main
>  Transmission codebase, I'd be happy to take a look at those.

That's what we call a hot potato in france...
just forward the problem to someone else.

> I replied to him privately :
>
>  Thank you for providing a reasonable alternative that will hopefully
> allow Haiku to use Transmission 1.51+  in the intertrim.   I'll pass
> your message regarding ticket #1682 to fellow Haiku developers and
> will do my best to get the ball rolling for implementing both IPv6
> and
> MiniUPnP, as well as identifying other potential issues.  Once again,
> I appreciate your consideration for OS's that aren't Windows, Mac or
> use a Unix-or-BSD-like kernel.  :)

We could still add IPv6 stubs to Haiku, but then other apps will probe
it and start trying to use them.

This doesn't look any cleaner to me.

François.