[haiku-development] Re: [Fwd: [General] Haiku OS]

  • From: "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:15:06 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth "Craig Magina" <craig.magina@xxxxxxxxx>:

|       ...  I'd have to say the ability to self-host
| will be a major step forward to simplifying the development
| environment as long as my hardware is supported.

I made a token effort to get everything built on NetBSD-amd64, but
it didn't seem very promising as jam crashed right away.  I'm glad
to hear, per Bruno Albuquerque, that a Linux version of this environment
works, but I'm much happier working in Haiku itself, which as you say
does simplify matters.

It's hard to imagine why new developers would want to invest in a
cross compiler platform at this point - except for a couple of problems:
- as far as I know there isn't any advertized distribution for the
  complete build environment with headers, crt.o files etc.
- as far as I know the self-host environment options don't include a gcc-4
  compiler.

The first doesn't have to be a "show stopper", the software exists
and it's just a matter of finding someone who can set you up.
The second doesn't matter so much as long as gcc2 is the primary
build environment, and if there's no Haiku gcc-4 now, no doubt
someone will get to it - maybe even me, I'm part way there anyway.

        Donn Cave, donn@xxxxxxxxxxx